We provide two types of radon tests.
- Short-term (2-5 day) test with a continuous electronic monitor (active device). This test is performed with an electronic monitor that provides instant results at the end of the test as well as a printed chart of hourly radon readings during the test period.
- Long term (90-365 day) test with a charcoal canister (passive device). This is the most accurate form of testing due to the extended testing period. Radon levels will fluctuate from day to day, so an extended term test will provide a better “overall” average of radon levels in the home. The test is performed with a charcoal canister. The canister is set and a “pick-up” day is then scheduled. When the canister is retrieved, it is then sent to the lab for results. The results are emailed typically within 2 – 3 weeks.
Click below for more information on radon from the Environmental Protection Agency.
The main reasons for having mold testing performed in your home are:
– You notice signs of mold such as a mold smell or mold symptoms
– To identify the species of mold in your home
– To help you find where mold is growing
– To test indoor air quality by measuring the amount of spores in the air
– To test if mold in your home has been fully removed
The three main types of mold tests are:
Bulk testing – ERMI DNA sampling
Please click below to learn more about ERMI DNA sampling.
Air Testing for Mold
Air sampling tests the concentration of mold spores in your home’s air. Samples are taken from the air and are later examined under a microscope. Air tests can tell you if you have a mold problem even if you cannot find the mold growth. However, the amount of mold spores in the air can change drastically in a small amount of time, giving varying results at different times.
Surface Testing for Mold
Surface testing takes samples from household surfaces to find the amount of mold growth and spores deposited around the home. Samples are collected by swabbing, tape lifting or other methods. The sample is then examined in a laboratory.
Like with air testing the results can vary because mold growth and spores aren’t spread evenly across surfaces in the home and can change over time. Unlike air testing though, surface tests can’t identify the exact concentration of mold spores in the air.
Bulk Testing for Mold
Bulk testing involves collecting pieces of material from the home. The material is then taken to a laboratory where mold particles on the material can then be examined under a microscope. Bulk tests can tell you if you have a mold problem and give you an idea of the concentration of mold particles in your home.
Well Water Sampling
Common issues discovered: Groundwater Contamination, Overuse and Depletion, Nitrates, Pharmaceuticals & Personal Care Products, Improperly Managed On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems, A Variety of Emerging Issues.
WHY SHOULD I TEST MY WELL WATER?
The following info is from The Groundwater Foundation | groundwater.org
Testing your private well’s water quality on a regular basis is an important part of maintaining a safe and reliable source. The test results allow you to properly address the specific problems of a water supply. This will help ensure that the water source is being properly protected from potential contamination, and that appropriate treatment is selected and operating properly.
It is important to test the suitability of your water quality for its intended use, whether it be livestock watering, chemical spraying, or drinking water. This will assist you in making informed decisions about your water and how you use it.
We communicate the following to our clients
- The biological aspects of common WDOs (wood-destroying organisms)
- Treatment and management options for wood-destroying insects
- Methods to prevent termite damage
- The importance of the inspection in relation to the real estate transaction.
We will do the following
- Identify and describe termites, and common wood-destroying insects
- Inspect crawlspaces; basements; and foundation structures for WDOs
This is a sub-contracted service. Pricing will vary depending on location.
Our Pest Inspection Providers:
– Preferred Pest Control Company: $55 for most locations.
– Allgood Pest Solutions: $55 for most locations.
Common issues discovered: Deteriorated clay pipes and pipes destroyed by roots or other underground disturbances.
The purpose of using a scope is to identify if a line is damaged and where roots may be entering the pipe. If there is damage present, not only can the scope identify the location where you need to dig, it can also indicate how many locations have major problems. This can be a good indicator of repair cost and whether you will need a replacement project or a repair project.
This is a sub-contracted service provided by HEP. Pricing will vary. Inquire for more information.
Home Inspection Service
804 Westborough Road
Knoxville, TN 37909
Proudly Serving all of East Tennessee
Knoxville, Loudon, Blount, Anderson, Monroe, Lenoir City, Maryville, Greenback, Louisville, Powell, Friendsville, Kingston, Oliver Springs, Oak Ridge, Maynardville, Corryton, Strawberry Plains, Kodak, Gatlinburg, Sevier, Pigeon Forge, Sweetwater, Athens, Philadelphia, Tellico Plains, Coker Creek, Madisonville, Cleveland, Ooltewah, Ringold, Chattanooga, and more…